Over the years the trunk spoiler brake light style changed. Later models had a the light more integrated into the spoiler. 1986-88 had a small box style mounted on the spoiler. Not all MR2s came with a spoiler. In 1987, the third light became mandatory on US cars.
- 1985: No light on spoiler or in rear window
- 1986: Some had box light, some didn't have any light
- 1987: All had a box light (n/a and SC)
- 1988: All had a box light/ some had LED instead (n/a and SC)
- 1989: All LED (n/a and SC)
Note- Some earlier cars had interior brake lights instead: